Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Brief Conversation with Harry Turtledove

`
No, Harry Turtledove isn't standing on a milk crate or anything. He's just kinda tall, especially compared to me.

I only spent a few minutes with him. He took time to sign the novels he authored (that I'd brought to ConCarolinas with me) and we talked briefly about his World War Series, and Roger Zelazny. I never had the opportunity to meet Roger Zelazny (he passed away from cancer in 1995). Mr. Turtledove said, "That you'd put me in his company as a writer is quite an honor. He was a very good man and a great writer, taken away from us too soon."

I was discussing with Harry Turtledove how his World War Series, combined with Roger Zelazny's Guns of Avalon formed the spark that ignited the idea for my novel, Flank Hawk.

As to be expected, Harry Turtledove is a friendly guy with a quick wit. He probably doesn't remember the conversation, but I do.
`

5 comments:

  1. Interesting article. First, the obvious...he makes you look like a fourth grader! Second, you are fortunate to meet one of the people who inspired your creativity in Flank Hawk. I envy that experience, both to meet the person and to have an opportunity to thank such a person. Andre Norton died before I got the chance to meet her, hence my feelings about your good fortune. And, thank you for sharing it...Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to be able to meet and talk with him. That's one of the great things about going to cons. I can only imagine how short I'd look next to him. (Unless you are only 5' 2" like me.) =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, Dean, kinda makes me look like a hobbit or something. Andre Norton wrote some excellent works.

    Angie, I'm taller than 5'2" by 4 inches, so there wouldn't be much difference. And that is one of the cool things about Cons--meeting authors. Plus you can see how you measure up to other authors...wait... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it intimidating enough to meet authors I admire without them being a foot taller than me too! Like Orson Scott Card and Brandon Sanderson. Those guys are tall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it more neat than intimidating. As far as height--at 5'6" I'm used to looking up at people :)

    ReplyDelete